On Sunday while I was doing my usual morning routine, something dawned on me: How much time do we as African women invest in self-care before we have to give in to the demands that the world poses on us?
“I have to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is self-survival.”- Audre Lorde
To stay sane during this period, I have set a routine, just to sort of build a structure of some sort. With that in mind, I kinda realized how the routine consist of “do this for hubby, fix that for baby, make that meal…” literally everything for everyone but me.
When I realized that on Sunday, I literally dropped everything, grabbed a drink and just relaxed.
Here are 10 things to help you with your self-care Journey;
- Try Self-care Apps.
- Learn to positively direct you thoughts
- Set aside time for good habits. (more self-love)
- Be conscious of how you pray, meditate and the worlds that you speak.
- Create your own at home spa experience
- Put your phone aside for a day.
- Take a nap.
- Run around your neighborhood.
- Talk to a loved one.
- Indulge is well home cooked meals.
The world demands a lot from us, if we are not careful, this chips away tiny bits of who we are. So I just stopped by to remind you that it is not selfish to take time for yourself.
PS: Corona is still roaming in these streets, please be cautious and stay safe.